As we know all too well at Curley Plumbing and Heating, many homeowners are lost if and when they have frozen or burst pipes in their home. Sure, most people do know to call us or another licensed plumber for an emergency repair, but often the burst pipe has already caused serious damage to their home and belongings.
Following are some important tips on how to prevent frozen pipes and the steps to take if a pipe does burst during the frigid winter temperatures.
Prevention against frozen pipes
· First and foremost, know where your main water shutoff valve is for your home! We can’t stress this enough. It’s not only important to locate if a pipe bursts, but for other plumbing emergencies as well. If you need help in locating your shutoff valve, please give us a call and we’ll be glad to come out and show you where it is and how to operate it in an emergency situation. Keep in mind that everyone in your house should know where the main water shut- off valve is located.
· Keep a trickle of water running from the faucets.
· Beam a heat lamp or small heater at exposed pipes.
· Wrap non-insulated pipes with newspapers, heating wires, foam, or self-adhesive insulating tape.
· Keep doors ajar between heated and unheated rooms.
· Raise the thermostat up to a minimum of 70 degrees when the temperature drops below 30 degrees.
What to do if a pipe bursts
· Go to your home’s main water valve and shut it off immediately.
· Electricity should also be cut off to the section of the home where the water damage has occurred. Remember to never touch anything electrical if it’s wet.
· Call a plumber! At Curley Plumbing and Heating, we always have a live, friendly representative ready to take your call 24/7.
· Start removing water in order to prevent mold and mildew buildup. Use mops, buckets, towels, and a wet/dry vacuum as needed.
· Contact your insurance company immediately to begin your homeowner’s insurance claim.
Call Curley Plumbing and Heating today!
If you have frozen or burst pipes — or any other plumbing or heating issues — call Curley Plumbing today at 516-487-6816. Family owned and operated since 1972, Thomas Curley Plumbing and Heating is your premier one stop shop for residential and commercial heating and plumbing solutions! Licensed and bonded, our name carries a distinguished reputation where quality workmanship, honesty and follow-up are without compromise!
Remember: One call does it all – with Curley Plumbing and Heating! Contact us today!